Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Never Spend a $5 Bill!


I think we all could use a little extra help this coming year with saving or paying down debt.  This looks like a great way to tuck away some money for a rainy day! 



Guest post from Lara Casey:



I started my "Never Spend a $5 Bill" jar on the first of January, 2013 in the hopes of saving enough for our family of four to take a trip home to California for my mom and dad's 50th wedding anniversary in 2015.   The concept is pretty simple, whenever you get a $5 bill, you put it in the jar and save it!  For example, if someone gave me change from a $20 bill, and there were three $5 bills, I would put all three bills in the jar.

This year alone I have saved $890!  I can't wait to start again this year and I'm adding another jar as well.  My husband, Tim, gave me a couple of $5 bills that I put in the jar, so I'm excited to think about the savings if both of us were adding to the jar, or the whole family for that matter!  



Lara lives on her farm in Morrison, Oklahoma and is a full-time wife and mother of two very active kiddos.  She enjoys working at her children's school, cooking and baking, and finding great deals. 






NOTE: 
  • You can also start this on a much smaller scale if saving $5 bills is a bit much for your budget right now.  This year, try starting a change jar!  Toss all of your loose change in the jar, and watch how quickly it all adds up!  Many grocery stores have a CoinStar machine where you can trade in your change (you don't even have to count, separate, or roll it) for cash or gift cards.   
  • This would be a wonderful way to get kids to save as well!  With younger children, they could start a "Never Spend a Quarter" jar and save up for that special toy or activity they have been wanting!
  • You can also use the "Never Spend" jars as blessing jars and use the money to donate to a favorite cause or charity!



No comments:

Post a Comment