Tuesday, February 5, 2013

On the First Day of Preschool...


 
 
So, today I had one of those 'Mom Fail' thingys.  Remember that over-scheduled calendar I was telling you all about?  Well, apparently today was the First Day of Preschool!!

 
 
How did I almost forget about that?!  Well, I'm going to place a fair amount of the blame on this cold/sinus infection I have been dealing with for nearly 3 weeks!  Still doesn't feel like enough of an out though.  *sigh*  I remember signing the boy up for all of these classes back in January.  I remember finally sitting down to fill out the calendar on Google.  I remember seeing the email alerts from Google and thinking, "Wow, they sure don't send enough of a reminder if the alerts come 30 minutes before the scheduled activity!!"  And then this morning, as I was wishing a Happy First Day to the little girl of a friend of ours, I just happened to pop over and check my email at 11:39 a.m. and see an alert for my son's preschool class that started at 12 noon!!  GAH!  Not showered.  Not dressed. No idea where the class even was. Haven't even built the idea up with the boy or even told him where we were headed (I said we were going to the store because I didn't want to deal with a freak-out meltdown on the way!)  And as I am flying up the stairs to shower, all I can think about is how my child will be the one coming in 30 minutes late for his first school experience, after all the other kids have already started on their activities or made friends, or my goodness what if it's circle time when we roll up and the teacher makes a big stink of him being late to join them?!  And all because his mama forgot to check the calendar last night while she was up coughing until 1 a.m.?!  Worst.  Mom.  Moment.  Ever.
 
 
But, we made it to class and were only about 12 minutes late!  YAY!  We are still homeschooling for preschool but I am trying to add in as many activities and experiences that will build on socialization and the beginnings of a "regular" school transition.  We are doing a parent-participation preschool class through our local Parks and Recreation Dept.  The closest thing I'll ever find to a co-op!  
 
So, even though this is not a conventional preschool, for the homeschooled child, this is about as close as you get to having a "First Day of School", so please allow me the proud mama moment!
 
 
 
 
As with previous social experiences, I worried about how the boy would adjust.  He has a very slow-to-warm personality, so oftentimes the transition from the doorway to actual enjoyment, participation, and not wanting to leave is completely unpredictable!  LOL  But he did great!  He walked right up to the teacher with me and talked with her.  He introduced her to his stuffed rabbit (that we HAD to bring!) and headed right to an activity!    He LOVED this!  Have to remember to get a pair of tongs!


 
 
 
After circle time, the kids got to work on a Valentine!  It's funny that just yesterday I was lamenting the fact that we wouldn't get to make Valentine's this year and had been totally skipping over all those Pinteresty blog posts with all of those cute V-day crafts.  YIKES!  I need 14 cute and homemade Valentines by next Tuesday! 
 
 

 
 
 
He made a new little friend right away too!  They sat together at every new activity!  And this was some serious snack!  Pizza, fresh fruit, crackers, juice, and cookies!  I'm excited to be 'snack mom'!
 
 

 
 
 
So, I think by the looks of that cheesy grin he had a great first day of preschool!  I like the teacher alot, the curriculum/activities are not rigidly structured, and I can help out and step back when need be.  I am really looking forward to seeing my little boy blossom and become more socially independent and ready to start his journey in school, wherever and however that may be.  ♥
 
 







You can also check me out over at The Krazy Coupon Mama on Facebook!   Frugal living at its finest!  Money-saving tips, lessons in couponing, daily deals, freebies, product samples, printable coupons, giveaways, store deals, and so much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment