Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Easy Cupcake Valentines



 
 
 
Had another awesome Pinterest fail this morning!   I'm really starting to think I need to devote a whole separate blog just to Pinterest Flops and call it something like "Yah, Right."  Anywho, I had seen this idea for making homemade heart-shaped cupcakes by placing a marble in between the paper cupcake liner and the pan.  Well, I tried it out by first placing the marble in the pan and then trying to pour the batter.  Doesn't work.  The batter just seeps out over the marble indentation.  Then I tried placing the marble after filling the cups and that worked much better!  I filled the cups 2/3 of the way full, as per the instructions on the box (yes, I used a box mix this morning!) but after baking, the batter just poofed up on and over the marble!  All I got in the end were regular looking cupcakes with a marble baked in to the side!  Fail!
 
I was running short on time and wanted something heart-y to bring to the Valentine's Day party at my son's preschool!  I did have enough time to quick bake up another batch of cupcakes and hopefully get them right, but the thought of having an extra 2 dozen cupcakes laying around a house where nobody eats sweets but me was not really gonna work, ya know?  As it was I used the gross strawberry mix to avoid eating any leftovers (which by the by are not half bad!  LOL)!
 
 
So, I decided to just decorate them anyway, and I came up with a cute way to jazz them up a bit and make them look a little less, uh, homey.  Or at least to distract people from seeing the marble-sized hole 'finger grip' on the side!  OYE!
 
 
 
 
 
I keep a plentiful supply of baking goods on had, so I just grabbed a can of plain vanilla frosting and colored it pink with a few drops of red food coloring.  I had no "Valentine" sprinkles, but I did have Christmas sugars a-plenty!
 
 
 
 

 
 
I made a very simple stencil out of brown paper (just fold the paper in half and cut the heart) and set that on the top of the frosted cupcake.  Since the frosting was "whipped" you really couldn't see the marks left behind from the stencil.  We just sprinkled the red sugar on the stencil and then carefully lifted it off (be sure to pull the sides in a bit so the sugar falls towards the center and not all over the place).
 
 
 
 
 
The Valentine cupcakes were a big hit!   Even the non-sweet eating boy gobbled one up!  Another Pinterest "flop" saved!  LOL
 
 
 







You can also check me out over at The Krazy Coupon Mama on Facebook! Frugal living at its finest! Money-saving tips, lessons in couponing, daily deals, freebies, product samples, printable coupons, giveaways, store deals, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment