Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins






I am SO super proud of myself with this recipe! Saw it posted on one of my favorite blogs and instead of sitting on the "pin" for months I actually jumped up and made them! I also turned this recipe into a homeschooling lesson for my 5 year old. We learned a little bit more about cup measurements today (how many 3rds fit into 1 cup, etc.) and I let him handle most of the ingredient measuring. Save for a few egg shells in the bowl and a little flour sprinkled on the counter he (and my OCD!) did a great job! 


Now, these muffins are not really what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, they are definitely tasty, but they are more, um, biscuit-y than muffin-y. The muffins are dense and very hearty, and I think because the taste is more like a biscuit, these could easily be savory instead of sweet. Cheddar and dill, or rosemary, olive oil, and garlic? Whatever floats your boat. 


I did make one important adaptation to this recipe 1/2 way through: I added a tsp of vanilla extract. The smell of the moistened oats in the mixture was seriously getting to me (I'm not a traditional oatmeal gal, and the batter smelled a little like flour paste to me) and I was concerned the muffins would taste like cardboard or something. So, in went the vanilla and the smell was gone.







(Yes, we buy our oats in a 10 lb. box!  We go through a ton of baked oatmeal!)

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins


These muffins are not very sweet at all and they are very filling.  
The perfect healthy "treat" for breakfast or anytime!




Ingredients:


  • 1 1/2 cups oats (old fashioned or quick oats)
  • 2 and 2/3 cups flour 
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup softened butter 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate chips 


Directions:


  • In a large mixing bowl combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  • In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter.
  • Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix until moistened. 
  • Add the chocolate chips and stir until combined.
  • Prepare your muffin tins with either butter-flavored cooking spray or cupcake papers and fill 2/3 full with the batter.
  • Bake at 400° for 16-18 minutes, or until muffin tops are light golden.  Keep an eye on them as the bottoms will darken much sooner than the tops!
  • Makes 18 regular-sized muffins.

You could certainly substitute ingredients in this recipe to suit your dietary needs or add nuts or dried fruit!  I think next time we will add in a few mashed bananas for some extra flavor and natural sweetness.



Recipe adapted from MSM.

No comments:

Post a Comment