Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Blueberry Café Muffins





I had been searching for a really good muffin recipe for fresh in-season fruit and one literally fell into my lap this weekend!  Well, not into my lap directly, but I saw it on a blog and my laptop was on my lap, so.....  Anywho, I had to make quite a few adjustments to the recipe ingredients and baking times to get a muffin we all liked, so I am claiming this as my own original recipe now!  LOL


These muffins came out a little more dense than I thought they would, but that may have been a result of my 4 year old sous chef measuring the flour!  Still quite tasty though!



 
Blueberry Café Muffins

This recipe makes 24 large muffins

Ingredients:


4 cups flour
1-1/2 cup sugar 
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (fresh bananas and peaches are also good!)


Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 375°
  2. Coat a standard size muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, incorporate the dry ingredients: sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
  4. In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and oil.
  5. Add the milk mixture and mix on low speed (or by hand) until well combined.
  6. Gently fold in the fruit.
  7. Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full or all the way to the top!  This will give you that nice high muffin top, just like in the cafés!
  8. (Optional) Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with just a little granulated sugar.  This will give the muffins a sweet and crispy top and really adds to the flavor! 
  9. Bake muffins at 375° for about 25 minutes.  This is where I had to make a modification.  I pulled the muffins out at about 25 minutes and they were light blonde in color, and while they were set, they just tasted uncooked and the fruit seemed to ooze out.  I put in the next batch and let them bake for a good 40 minutes or more (okay, so I forgot about them, but when I pulled them out after 40 or so minutes, they were perfect!  LOL)  The tops were nicely browned (not burnt at all!) and crispy from the sugar and the insides were still very moist from the fruit.    
  10. Immediately remove the muffins from the tin and let them cool a bit on a wire rack, if you can wait that long!
  11. Serve warm or at room temperature with butter, jam, or whatever you like.
  12. If you have any extra muffins left over, you can freeze them in an air tight container and pop them in the microwave or toaster oven!









No comments:

Post a Comment