Thursday, April 18, 2013

'Who's the Nutcase Now?!' Meatballs...




Just made meatballs for the very first time by recalling a classic episode of Everybody Loves Raymond! And they were SUPER yummy! Wasted hours of mindless TV watching or time spent learning valuable life skills?   AmIright? ;)
 








Everybody Loves Raymond; Season 2; Episode 15; "Marie's Meatballs"
"When Raymond chooses his mother's spaghetti and meatballs over his wife's lemon chicken for dinner, Debra blows a gasket. With good intentions, Ray asks Marie to teach Debra how to make her world-famous dish."        
 



 "Who's the nutcase now, Ray? WHO'S THE NUTCASE NOW?!" LOL


 
 
Anywho,  we had chicken meatballs while we were visiting friends in Europe last year and my husband just raved about them.  I never remembered to get the recipe from the gal, but I thought I could replicate the flavor somehow!  Now, I am not a cook by any stretch of the imagination, but sometimes I get these ideas that I think will turn out edible and sometimes, well.....    But this idea was a keeper!  Even got the hubby to look me in the eyes between bites and say it was good.  I didn't see a smirk at all!  

So, here's the recipe.  You'll have to forgive the structure of it, or lack thereof, as I just jotted down the things I used and what I did in the kitchen. 




Here's what ya need for my 'Who's the Nutcase Now?! Meatballs!

1 lb. ground beef, chicken, or turkey
3 eggs
Garlic and Herb flavored bread crumbs
Salt and Pepper to taste





In a large bowl, mix together the meat, two of the eggs, about a cup of the bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste (I used a tsp or so of each).  I used my hands to mix so I could feel the texture of the meat and to be sure everything was incorporated.   I was looking for the texture of Playdough (not overly dry but not wet or greasy, how's that for culinary expertise?).  Once the meat mixture is, um, mixed, roll it into 1-inch balls and set aside.




**************************************************************************************

 
 
Time Saver Tip:

I like to make batches of these things in advance for quick and easy dinners.  So, after prepping the meat and forming the balls, I place them on a jelly roll pan and pop them in the freezer overnight.  Place them in an airtight container and leave them in the freezer.  They should keep for a couple months.  When you're ready for a quick dinner, just defrost as many as you need and then continue with the recipe.  SO easy!  (Yes, those extra 3 meatballs drove my OCD nuts messing up the perfect rows of 5's.  But whatcha gonna do, right?)

**************************************************************************************
 
 
 
 

In a small bowl, whisk an egg.  In another bowl, add about 1 cup of the bread crumbs.  Take the meatballs and coat thoroughly in the egg.  Then, dredge them in the bread crumbs and set aside. 

Now, you can either fry or bake the meatballs, whichever you like.

To bake the meatballs, simply place them on a wire rack on a jelly roll pan (or one of those fancy broiler pan thingy's) and pop them in a 350° oven for like 10-15 minutes.  They'll be crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside.  Healthier and a lot less cleanup! 


You can also fry and then bake....

In a saute pan, heat 1/3 cup or so of vegetable oil on medium heat.  Place the meatballs in the pan about an inch apart and cook for a few minutes until browned.  Carefully turn them over and brown the other side for just a couple of minutes.  Remove the meatballs and let drain on paper towels.  Place meatballs about an inch apart on a wire rack in a baking pan (like a jelly roll pan) and place in a preheated 350° oven and cook for 10 minutes or so or until preferred doneness. 


And if they don't come out tasting good, don't blame me.  Check all the labels on your ingredients!  LOL






You can also check me out over at The Krazy Coupon Mama on Facebook! Frugal living at its finest! Money-saving tips, lessons in couponing, daily deals, freebies, product samples, printable coupons, giveaways, store deals, and more! Because Budgets and Babies Can Make Anyone Krazy!




No comments:

Post a Comment